this is way overdue status update, sorry for that
Sony Xperia L (a.k.a Taoshan):
My power switch broke after few power ons 🙁
Powimod mailed to me that he also wanted to port postmarketOS to this phone, and after about a month there is first success 🙂
I couldn’t help too much in a practical way (the power button broke a week ago), I tried to at least find resources how to solve various problems.
So how the work was going?
- We both compiled Linux kernel independently, theoretically both of them should work but as it turned out the phone wouldn’t boot
- We thought about finding UART port, and I broke my power button while searching for it (that button is just small metal sheet connected to plastic base with piece of adhesive tape)
- Then we started analyzing boot.img image, usingLineageOS/pmos kernel + ramdisk combinations to no avail
fastboot bootdidn’t work, requiring us to flash boot.img instead of booting it from RAM, we finally could generate working boot.img by adding two options to image generator(`–kernel_offset` and `–ramdisk_offset`) and using pmos kernel & LineageOS ramdisk to boot LineageOS
- After flashing pmos we thought that it won’t boot. It turns out it did, but without screen, LED or ssh/telnet (which we were able to get working shortly after)
- I was told that patch from Konradybcio for Xperia M (sony-nicki) helped turning screen on, however I was unable to check that since my screen broke 🙁
So now there is working port, but I won’t work on it anymore since my screen broke
boot.img – file that contains everything needed to boot a phone
ramdisk – after turning on a phone a kernel is loaded; it loads ramdisk.gz content into ram and run files that are contained in it; it’s like basic filesystem when normal memory is not yet available